What Happened To Pub Rock # 14

Todays band hasn’t reached to the big names in the pub rock scene but they were quiet good at these times. This is what Wikipedia knows about them:

Roogalator played their first live show in November 1972, at a talent night staged at the Marquee Club in London to muted response. Adler, killing time between the Irish C&W circuit and jam sessions with Ginger Baker‘s African drummers, spent time in Paris studying jazz theory. He returned to London to form the second line-up of Roogalator with drummer Bobby Irwin, pianist Steve Beresford, and keyboardist Nick Plytas.
The band recorded a demo which resulted in a booking agency deal. Neither Beresford nor Irwin wanted to proceed. With their first live shows ahead, Adler and Plytas rebuilt the line-up. Drummer Dave Solomon, a bandmate of both Plytas and Beresford in a Motown cover band, replaced Irwin. Irwin, noting the band was still minus a bassist, gave a copy of the demo to Paul Riley, a member of the successful pub scene band Chilli Willi and the Red Hot Peppers. Riley joined Roogalator just before their September 1975 debut, and, for a time, it was his fame that attracted the band’s first press notices.
They became one of the fixtures on the mid-’70s London pub rock scene, establishing themselves as unique on the pub circuit. Drawing from Adler’s experience on theCincinnati club circuit of the late ’60s, Roogalator offered an angular, minimalist funk sound which was at odds with the standard country, blues, and early rock sounds and created a distinctive blueprint for what would become the Britfunk explosion of the early ’80s.
In November 1975, the band recorded demos for United Artists Records and met Robin Scott, who would become their manager, producer and record label chief. In January 1976 they supported Dr. Feelgood at the Hammersmith Odeon in London. The show was by their own consensus a disaster and marked the end of the classic line-up. Within weeks, Solomon quit, to be replaced by the returning Bobby Irwin. Riley also departed. Adding bassist Jeff Watts, Roogalator recorded a John Peelsession on 13 May 1976 and embarked on a European tour. The tour was marred by the theft of all their possessions from their van. Watts and Irwin departed to reunite with Riley in The Sinceros, which he was now managing.
Encouraged by Scott, Adler recruited a new rhythm section; bass guitarist Julian Scott (brother of Robin) and drummer Justin Hildreth. In early summer ’76, Roogalator signed a one-off single deal with Stiff Records and released “All Aboard” / “Cincinnati Fatback”. The band continued gigging returning to the BBC for a second Peel session on 28 October 1976.
I always tried to get their Cincinati Fatback album but the price I have to pay now is too high. So enjoy these little gems of these era.
The Roogalators – Cincinnati Fatback
The Roogalators – I Feel Good

One thought on “What Happened To Pub Rock # 14

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s